Sunday, August 9, 2015

R.I.P. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

 Rest in Peace. A Great wrestler and a man who gave back to the community as in being such a strong supporter of amateur wrestling in the state of Oregon and being part of the recent anti-bullying campaign.

He was one of a kind and one of my childhood heroes. I can not even explain how much I enjoyed watching him over the years as a wrestler and also as an actor (given the movies were pretty horrible).

If it wasn't for the Rowdy one I probably wouldn't be the sarcastic bastard that I am.

A couple of years ago I read his biography  "In the Pit with Piper: Roddy gets Rowdy." I thought it was a great book that gave a lot of insight into his personality. He had a tough childhood ending up at one point being a street kid in Toronto to wrestling in  Calgary, Portland and beyond. I mean he wrestled with a artificial hip in his last few matches for Christ sake.

I think he was pretty haunted by the death of Adrian Adonis (Keith Franke) who was killed when the van Adonis was traveling hit a moose. I remember seeing a show on ghost, I think it was the one with the psychic from New Jersey, where he talked about seeing Adonis in his house at times.

Roderick George Toombs, (Pipers given name) Quite a human being and will truly be missed.
The funeral services for Roddy Piper will be held on August 12 in Portland, Oregon.

I could go on and on about Piper but I will cut it short. One of my first post I talked about "The Sickness," which was a direct quote from Piper.

I also wrote a paper about him when I was in the seventh or eight grade. If I can find it, maybe I'll clean it up and post it here. I know I have it laying around some where.

Yeah, I'm kind of rambling here, but that's only because this is a death of someone who was kind of an idol of mine.

Rest in Peace "Rowdy" Roddy Piper.

Cheers,

Brian Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment