Thursday, July 18, 2013

F*** You Rock and Roll Portraits by Neil Zlozower

This is just a weird book. When I was 12 or 13 I would have chuckled at all the pages of middle fingers being waved about and got some good yuks in, but at a little over 40, I look at it like, "Wow, Rock Stars flipping the bird to a camera big deal."

That's not to say that the book doesn't have it's moments. Some of the pictures of hair metal bands and thrash metal bands in here take me back in time. For some reason a lot of Van Halen pictures. Maybe Eddie Van Halen is just saying he's #1?

On of the funniest (if not depressing things) are two photos of glam metal band Warrant (who did that god awful song "Cherry Pie") from 1990 and 2008, man have they aged, but I guess we all have.

There are a lot of big named acts in here: Slayer, Anthrax, Van Halen, Poison, Ratt, Motley Crew, Korn (yuck) to name a few then there are the also not so big acts: Laas Rockit (Who did one of the worst covers of "Holiday in Cambodia" I have ever heard), White Lion. Black n' Blue (horrible metal from Portland, but funny. Long story.) to name a few.

The strangest picture of all is that of Kianna Dior. I had no Idea who she was. I had to look her up on the Internet, she is an adult film star. Not sure what the connection is there, Sex, Drugs and Rock N' Roll maybe?

This book originally sold for $14.95 I'm glad I only paid $2.50 for it, because truth be told if it was anymore money I would have passed on it.

It's interesting, but is this a book that really needed to be made?

Released by Chronicle Books of San Francisco in 2008

Buy if if you dare or care.

Cheers,

Brian Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment