Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Cascasia Clash: Sounders Versus Timbers by Geoffrey C. Arnold

I really did not enjoy this book on the MLS rivalry between Seattle and Portland very much at all. I felt it was really lacking something.

Right off the bat the book covers just the Seattle Sounders and the Portland Timbers for the Cascadia Cup, there's a problem with that, the Vancouver Whitecaps are also part of the Cup and they get mentioned once in the whole book. This left me with kind of a WTF moment.

If this book had been called something like just "Sounders Versus Timbers," I think it would have been a more honest title.

The book does cover the matches that the two teams have played, but it all seems very dull with little life to it.

Of the books eleven chapters the only two that I really enjoyed were the ones on the players and coaches. The other chapters on the Fans and oddities two name a few really did little for me.

It really did seem like Arnold was trying to set this up like some kind of rivalry of the likes of some of the UK Premier or Spanish League and it just didn't work at all for me.

Other people may love this book but to me, it was pretty much a waste of reading time.

Published by History Press of Charleston, SC in 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment