Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Red Dwarf X (review)

First off, I am a big Red Dwarf fan ever since I was introduced to the show by a friend of mine by the name of Jim Orr. I hunted the show down and fell in love with the whole premise of the show. Then came the movie.

I didn't even know this had been released. After the god awful movie, I figured that the show would just die a quiet death, I was wrong, Series X is here and I have to say I found it pretty damn funny.

The show is basically down to the original crew, no Katchski, no rest of the crew just the Cat (Danny John-Jules), Rimmer (Chris Barrie), Lister (Craig Charles) and Kryten (Robert Llewellyn). This is fine by me but there is no explanation as to what happened I guess the idea that the happiness squid wiped the past two or three seasons away is the only explanation. That being ignored the six episodes are pretty funny and are worth watching.

I can't really say which episode I liked the best because I feel that they were all really good. They all flow very well and have a lot of funny parts. Unlike the movie where I felt that a lot of the jokes where very low brow and childish, Series X seems to be back to the old Red Dwarf, funny and engaging.

Problems that I had for the show, is the vending machines and Red Dwarf seemed a lot nicer than you'd thing  it should be. It was like they gave it an update which really doesn't make since if you think about it, unless the stole a bunch of stuff from a abandoned ship, which if that is what happened it's never explained.

If you can look past some of the problems with the show, it's really fun to watch. Don't know if there will be another series or not. I wonder how much longer you can have everyone play the same caricatures and not aging at all?

Forget about the movie and watch this.

Cheers,

Brian Guy


2 comments:

  1. Huh? There's a movie? Just finnished watching the series on Netflix after completly ignoring the show for all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah there was a movie called "Back to Earth," it was not that great and just really pissed me off and a lot of my friends who love the show.
    Everyone just looked so old and like they really didn't want to be there. Lucky, the X season makes up for that pile of stink.

    Cheers,

    Brian Guy

    ReplyDelete