Thursday, June 20, 2013

Haunted Route 66: Ghost of America's Legendary Highway by Richard Southall

When I saw this book at one of my usual book store haunts, I was really excited. Route 66 has all sorts of great ghost stores to tell. Unfortunately this book falls short, way short.

For those of you who don't know Route 66 was really one of the first major roads leading west. Starting in Chicago, IL and ending in Santa Monica, CA and is almost 2500 miles long. This was before the Interstate Highway System when travel took a lot longer and was not as easy as it is today.

For starters, the entry for Bachelor's Grove Cemetery leaves out a lot of information. It does not talk about the phantom house which appears nearby, the phantom vehicles or the fact that the place was used for Satanic rituals at times.

I can accept little things like that the more glaring issue is the fact that there are stories listed here that are not even on Route 66. There are stories about Kansas City which is three hours away from Route 66, Same with Lawrence, KS. There are also entries for Dallas, TX Denton, TX and Waxahachie, TX all of which are no where near Route 66.

If you don't have enough material to fill the book either don't write it or make it shorter to keep its integrity, but okay you are going to write it anyways okay which brings me to my next problem.

Okay if you are going to cover areas that aren't even part of Route 66, I fully expected to see something about the notorious alternate Route 666 also known as the Devil's Highway (it was changed to Route 491 in 2003)  which runs through New Mexico, Colorado and Utah. However, there is no mention of this road at all and it is a lot closer than three hours away from Route 66.

All in all I found this book just plain disappointing to me. I had a hard time even finishing it and I really can not say I'd recommend it.

Published by Llwellyn Worldwide, Woodbury, MN in 2013

Better Luck Next Time,

Brian Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment