Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dirk Gently DVD

I was a big fan of Douglas Adams of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and his "Dirk Gently Holistic Detective," series so when I saw that the BBC had made the later into a series, I really had to go out and get it.

There are only four episodes on this release which is the complete series as far as I know. I wish there were more episodes, but it is what it is.

If you ever read the books, which I did a long time ago, this reminds me of the books a little bit, but I remember a lot of dimension jumping and what not in the books which doesn't happen in the TV show, I could be wrong as I read these books a long time ago. I really enjoyed this series a lot.

Dirk Gently is played by Stephen Mangan. and I have to say that Managan plays the character quite well. Quirky, self serving, and never found a bill that he wanted to pay willingly. Richard MacDuff played by Darren Boyd, plays Gently's somewhat confused and frustrated sidekick who always wants to do the right thing basically the anti-Dirk down to a T.

I really enjoyed the humour and character development and the relationships of the character. The idea that Gently is basically solving crimes based on an almost unswerving belief in the fundamental interconnectedness of all things is quite interesting.

I would really recommend this DVD, as it really is a lot of fun and makes me want to go back and re-read the books.

Man I miss Douglas Adams.

Cheers,

Brian Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment