Saturday, December 15, 2012

Stories from Jewish Portland by Polina Olsen

Okay it's the final day of Hanukkah hope you've enjoyed what I've done with the blog for the last eight days.

I have to admit that i am not Jewish. In fact I never even knew a Jewish person until I went to college and took history classes from Dr. Donald Epstein who was originally from Brooklyn, NY. He was a great instructor and I enjoyed his style of teaching.

My wife who is really the best thing that ever happened to me is however Jewish and this holiday of the oil celebration is for here and her loving parents who have accepted this agnostic as one of their own.

So, onto the book. This book has stories from Jews in Portland, Oregon. As a former Oregonian I have to say I found this pretty interesting, of course I like history.

There is so much in this book even though it's a pretty compact book. Seems like junk dealer and recyclers where a lot of common jobs of early Jews in Portland. Some became pretty successful. There where also Jewish Groceries, butchers and all other professions you could think of.

Basically if you are interested in the history of Jews in Portland, Oregon, pick this book up an enjoy some history.

Published by The History Press of Charleston, SC 2011

Cheers,

Brian Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment