Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Elvis Costello by David Sheppard

This book is part of the "Kill Your Idols," series. I enjoyed this book for what it was and learned a lot about Declan MacManus aka Elvis Costello, but at the same time I really wanted more information. I guess I can sum it up this way,"There was a lot of meat but no gravy."

You get the basic information form his birth but very little about his childhood or anything that isn't music carrier related, which to me was kind of a let down. I don't need to hear everything about his live outside of music, but a little more information outside of his marriages would have been nice.

This book is divided into three parts: 1. The Story 2. The Music 3. The Legacy.

I really didn't get into Elvis Costello until about a year ago when I started picking up the odd single here and there and enjoyed what I heard and have be came more impressed with the more I listened to his music.

This book did clear up a few things and how his musical changed through out the years. Here is a guy who started out as part of punk, but incorporated Americana, Pop and a lot of other types of music now that's pretty cool. Also take into the fact a lot of the early punks became basically dead, burn outs, sell outs or jokes of there former selves, and Costello didn't do that.

So, If you are looking for a quick read this is a book for you.

Published on Thunder Mouth Press of New York and London in 2000.

Cheers,

Brian Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment