Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Dead Kennedys The Unauthorized Version by Marian Kester

It was Christmas of 1991 when I was given this book as a present from a dear friend (Hello Michelle"Mitch"Walch hope all is okay in your life), all was well with the world, the Dead Kennedys hadn't fallen apart and became the joke that they would become years later.

I loved this book it was probably one of the best presents I have ever gotten. I have to admit that the Dead Kennedys along with Black Flag and the Circle Jerks really got me interested in punk from being the metal head I was at the time, so DKs really meant a lot to me.

Now about the book. It was written by Marian Kester and edited by F-stop Fitzgerald and covers the band up until 1990 which is when this edition was published.

This book covers a lot of ground from the individual band members, Jello's run for mayor of San Francisco, Jello's wedding to Therese Soder, the music behind DKs, plus a lot more.

Looking back at this book for the first time in a long time, it really brings back a lot of memories, back when punk meant something a lot different to me. It seemed pure it was the punks against the world, now I don't feel that way. I feel like punk has gone the same way as the hippies. We have become our own worst enemy and sold our souls and have became a marketing tool. When I hear punk songs of my youth being used to whore out products on TV it kind of makes me sick.

Back to the book. Another great thing about the book is the pictures just really capture a very special place in time.

I believe that this book is back in print. If you liked the DKs go out and get a copy or ask for it for Christmas.

Third Edition released by Last Gasp of San Francisco, CA.

Cheers,

Brian Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment