Thursday, November 1, 2012

Slinging Mud: Rude Nicknames, Scurrilous Slogans and Insulting Slang from Two Centuries of American Politics by Rosemarie Ostler

Well, Halloween is over and here in the states we are winding down in this years election campaign and I have to say I'm ready for it to be over with.

Now I'm kind of a political junkie and even I'm close to my breaking point. I am so tired of being inundated with political bullshit from both sides. My wife and I voted about a week ago and we are still getting mailers from a cornucopia of politicians and my email box isn't much better. Lies, lies and more lies. Hence the review of this book.

If you thought that dirty politics and elections are a new thing it isn't. It's been going on since the founding fathers. It's just now with the internet, twitter and texting it's just a lot quicker to get that mud slinging faster.

So, if you want to take your mind off of what's going on today and focus on mudslinging from 1824 to 2008, this is the book for you.

Slinging Mud is divided into eight eras:

King Mob: The Jacksonian Era 1824-1848
Doughfaces and Copperheads: The Antebellum Period and the Civil War 1852-1868
Carpetbaggers and Boodlers: Reconstruction and the Guilded Age 1872-1896
The Lunatic Fringe: The Age of Reform, World War I and the 1920s 1900-1928
Hoovervilles and Bleeding Hearts: The Great Depression and World War II 1932-1948
Peacenicks: Postwar America and the 1960s 1952-1968
Beltway Bandits: Watergate and After 1972-1988
Latte Liberals and Wingnuts 1992-2008

This is a good book and a great look at presidential elections in the USA.

Published by Perigee Books of New York, NY in 2011

Cheers,

Brian Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment