Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Among the Thugs by Bill Buford

First of all I have to say I am no expert on soccer (football for you who life out side of the US). Having listened to Punk Rock for most of my adult life I have heard a lot about football hooligans in the UK. So, when I saw this book I just had to pick it up for a read.

I really loved this book, I think it is well written has some pretty hilarious stories and some tragic ones to.

One of the funniest parts of the book in my opinion was the chapter when he spoke to Police Superintendent R. McAllister of the Wearside Police Station in Sunderlund. McAllister seemed really confused by the fact that we don't have the same hooliganism in American football. For some reason I found that pretty damn funny.

The book also touches on the National Front using football as a recruiting tool, which was pretty interesting.

It seems to me that the true hooligans have little interest in the sport of football it is more about the spectacle of football and the mob mentality.

If you have a chance to read this book please do, if you have read it I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

Cheers,

Brian Guy



3 comments:

  1. Seems like a good read and as current as ever atleast here in Sweden. I don't wanna go on a rant or anything but the subject of "casuals" and the missconseption that they have anything to do with punk or skinheads came into my life this Sunday as i went to a burgerjoint with some friends. As we came into the place we noticed it was packed with the local trash (aka Green firm), dont know if they won or lost and i don't even they knew or carred. The bunch where meanmuggin me and my friends who had just come of our weekend labour (how workingclass is that ey), maybe because we looked "skin" and in their book had to be into football and possible enemies. Since they where 20+ and we where 4 i didnt do nothing but take in the extremly sad, sad state of football supporters today. Every single kid in the bunch had clothing from Stone Island and the likes and i think every kid walked around with clothing that costes more than i make in 2 months. All of them where outright bullies and lacked all honour and selfpresence i connect to hooligans of the old breed (don't go pickin on families etc) and from the crowd i could pick out atleast 3 kids that are known junkies in my town (its a small town).
    The reason behind this dissoriented wall of text is the frustration i get when seing people in the states connecting the casual lifestyle with the skinhead lifestyle. To me these are two completly different things with ideals and guidelines of honour that couldnt be further from each other. To me a casual is nothing but a middleclass (or even upper) kid who bullies and steps on the "weak", the only honour he has is the braggingrights to his mates. Me as a person involved with Oi! for a long time i must say "The old firm casuals" can keep their disorted view of Europe and stay the hell away from the punkscene.
    Confused rantings of a madman....out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, nice site by thew way Brian. Looking forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bernardo for checking things out.

    Cheers,

    Brian Guy

    ReplyDelete